Thursday, April 16, 2009

Home Farming: Chickens

With my busy schedule I decided that I couldn't take the 2-3 days nessasary to prepare and plant a garden this year... So I decided to go for the other aspect of agriculture that I'm interested in, and to buy some chickens!
This is my flock of six as they looked a week ago. They've already grown, and are well on their way. I plan on erecting a henhouse on the concrete slab located on my property, however I have time to wait on that before these birds are big enough to require such housing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Baby chicks are so cute and fun. I'm hoping they will grow into laying hens and provide us with some yummy fresh eggs!

James Guilford said...

It looks like there's some reddish color to the chicks' fluff. What sort of chickens are they?

Rachel said...

I'm so jealous!!

James Guilford said...

Okay, I'm guessin' they're Rhode Island reds. They grow pretty fast... let's see some "progress" photos!