Saturday, September 25, 2010

Photography: Professional flash gun!

Earlier this week on one of my frequent visits to the local Goodwill I found this little gem: A Sunpak 522 Auto Thyristor professional photostrobe. It only cost me $5, and I figured if nothing else it'd be something fun to play with. After doing some research I determined that this was in fact a professional strobe (which I had guessed simply by the number of controls when I first saw it), and a rather a powerful one for one that can run on standard batteries!
This strobe came with a camera shelf, which if I ever use it for it's intended purpose I will most likely NOT use; as with any digital camera I can afford I will have to use it as a slave flash I would want to mount it to it's own tripod.









An alternate view of the strobe, showing both it's back panel and it's 3-dimensional aiming.

Of course I decided to try to test this strobe with my "pocket" camera by simply trying to manually synchronize the strobe with the camera's built-in flash, and actually succeeded!




















Here is a photo using the Sunpak 522 Auto at maximum power in a quote-unquote "Open Flash" shot (meaning that I managed to manually trigger the flash gun whilst the camera was actually sampling the image). The field plants are at least one hundred feet away from the camera (which has a 3/8 inch objective).For $5 I am rather impressed...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's quite a bargain I think. It will be interesting to see what you do with it. ~ Mom