Saturday, April 2, 2011

Beer & Chick'n

P1020536

Just a quick update on the progress of my new flock. Today I cleaned out the brooder box, in the interim confining the chickens to four empty beer cases (three birds per box, which allowed enough room to prevent a potentially fatal “piling” situation). All 12 birds are doing well, and as of now I have three “confirmed” males (judging by comb and wattle growth; unlike with mammals birds have no visible genitals, and can only be sexed by secondary features) which is, fortunately, about what I initially suspected. Sure this means less (if any) Spring Chicken (as I think I can give away at least two of these cockerels), but it also means less dealing with the “issues” of Spring Chicken…

P1020538

The boys, currently seperated from the girls, huddle together; hiding from the overhanging Sun(pak). Actually this is normal behavior when a small number of chicks are isolated in a dark place; and my über bright flash gun has nothing to do with it (and coincidentially, it fired just over minimum power).

That’s all I have for now. More later…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

They aren't as cute as they were but I'll bet they'll be pretty when they are full grown.

Mmmm... beer and chicken. I've heard of roasting a chicken with it "sitting" on a can of beer. This seems to be a new take on that concept.

Rachel said...

I'm glad your chickens are doing well :)