Saturday, November 29, 2008

PPE

Me, dressed in appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for track work at or near grade crossings. For those of you not familiar with PPE I will give an explination of the function of each piece of equipment and why it is important.

Starting at the top is the hard hat. In truth it is largely unnessasary for the type of work I am doing, however with the TLEW emblem it serves to make me appear more "official." In addition it does at least somewhat protect my head from falling debris while clearing brush, doing signal work or working above my head in general.
Next is the safety glasses. I have perscription safety glasses and wear them my entire waking day. Safety glasses protect my eyes from flying debris.
Just from looking at the picture the safety vest's function should be obvious: In normal, non-directional light the white reflectors appear gunmetal gray! I bought the vest for working near road-railroad grade crossings, mostly to be sure that I am visable to passing motorists. But again, I think it helps me to appear more "official."
My Carhartt coat in and of itself could also be considered PPE. In addition to keeping me warm it is also extremely abrasion resistant, and thus protects me from cuts and scrapes whilst I am working.

That's all I have for now. I have plans for another post, and pictures for it as well, which I plan on posting tommorow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You do indeed look "official." I'm glad you take such care to protect yourself as well. It is cool how the stripes on the vest appear to glow. Glad you have Grandpa G's hard hat. He'd be glad for you to have it.