Sunday, May 23, 2010

Home Ag Update: The corn is up!

Finally about "one third to half" of my corn has sprouted! So far the first two planting days' worth of corn is up, with the rest about a week behind. And at least so far it looks like I have a very low mortality rate (as in by far and away most of the seeds have sprouted)!
Here is a picture of once of the further along seedlings, as well as a few of it's neighbors. However as you can see some weeds have sprung up, and though I had hoped not to need to I may wind up having to spray the corn patch with 2,4-D (I can't use Round-Up, as only about a third of the corn is guaranteed to be Round-Up Ready). This won't kill the grass, but it will take care of the broadleafs. We'll see, if the corn grows fast enough I won't have to spray at all...
That's all I have for now. More when the results are more dramatic.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hate to tell you Ben but the best, not to mention the cheapest, way to deal with the weeds (and grass) is with a hoe!

have fun - dad

Unknown said...

Dad is trying to take all the fun out of chemical warfare! Good luck with those weeds. ~M