Sunday, May 2, 2010

Is this... Corn?

I finally aquired my corn seed today, and all I have to say is it doesn't look the way I expected! Of course the corn seeds are much smaller than the harvest kernels, but the color is what threw me. I knew that the seed was likely to be coated (generally with fungucide and/or starter fertilizer) but I hadn't expected the color.
The reason the seed is multicolored is because the bag contains several different brands of corn. This is a very good thing, as diversity helps avoid problems. THis is the seed that was left over when the farmer cleaned out his planter this year; it is all high-end seed that should yield very nicely!
Now I just need to till under the jungle and actually put some of this into the ground...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That definitely doesn't look like corn, unless it's candy corn! It should be interesting watching it's progress!

James Guilford said...

From here it looks like mixed jelly beans. Sure you know what you're planting? -- JG