Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Yet more photography…

P1010983

Yesterday I finally finished exposing my “test roll” of film, and took it to the pharmacy today to get it developed (the film that is, NOT the camera!)  Provided this test proves that the Nikon is in good, solid working condition (despite likely having been dropped, as well as my own attempt to destroy the shutter…) I have one more thing I want to do with it before it goes into cold storage, but I will save that for another post…

Despite the extremely low purchase price ($2) I sincerely hope it’s a good camera, as even though it’s effectively 75 cents a frame to use it is also effectively a 20 megapixel camera!  With a massive list of accessory lenses available should I wish to aquire them.

Aside from having nearly completed my Nikon test I also did some timed exposure experiments with my Lumix.  My first experiment turned out beautifully (pic and link to full resolution picture is at the end of the post), however afterwards things didn’t go so well…

I decided to try capturing both the stars and a tree in one frame, using my strobe to illuminate the tree.  I removed my slave unit from the strobe so I wouldn’t lose it, but not it’s mounting…  Just as I was ready to take the picture the strobe suddenly started going off like the Fourth of July!!!  Turns out that my home-improvised slave mount finally failed, and after removing it the strobe functioned properly again in “open flash” mode.  Sadly the picture I had composed turned out horribly…  Still though, with all the random and very rapid flashing it must’ve looked like Beirut in my front yard!!!

P1010988

Here is a pic of my one “good” timed exposure (the astronomical ones sadly didn’t turn out…  The Earth rotates more in one minute than you’d think).  The reddish streaks are traffic (this frame was exposed over a period of 60 seconds).  The full resolution image may be viewed here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool photo!

(on word verification was "wooki")

Unknown said...

We're looking forward to seeing the photos!